Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Vacuum Day

 

About 15 years ago I dropped (at the time) what felt like outrageous $ on a refurbished Dyson vacuum. (A Dyson DC14.)
Every few years I tear it down, wash the majority of the parts really well, replace filters or parts that can't be washed, and put it back together. It looks and runs like new.
(I did try washing the extendible hose part... that was not a good decision. The hose -  while still functional - would never fully dry. It kept retracting and trapping the water in the hose. Rather than start growing my very own mold farm, I got a replacement.)
This is not a fast project - it usually takes me all afternoon to break it down and scrub each part. (And they are *filthy*.) Then it all really needs to sit apart at least overnight to thoroughly dry.
It's very satisfying to put it back together.
 

The only downside is that all the parts are plastic, and there are some areas where I can tell the plastic is getting brittle and cracking. Someday I will have to replace it, but for now we just keep on trucking.

No comments:

Post a Comment