Thursday, August 29, 2024

A Grand Dump of Bathroom Pictures! (Part 2)

Once I returned under-slept but relatively unscathed from our grand tour of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South and North Dakota, and Montana, I found the bathroom had changed while I was gone. Not a lot visually, but a lot structurally.
They had done the roof in my absence (the whole roof - It badly needed it) and in the process discovered there were 8! Eight! layers of roofing material over the bathroom. A mix of asphalt and rolled rubber, they were worried that the sheer weight alone would trigger needing a new dumpster. I think we avoided it though.

There was plumbing!

A a vent stack pipe in the corner!
Super exciting because up until this point my house hasn't met code. This fixes a huge problem.

All new rafters, also up to code!

John the Carpenter revealed that there was a hand-hewn post hiding inside the mystery box in the dining room. This was likely reused from somewhere even older than the house.

Labeled electrical! With a vent fan!

The vent stack was framed in to make a chase. This eats up about a square foot of floor space in an already small bathroom, but it's worth it. (And frankly, I didn't have a choice.)

Slowly pealing back the wall between the bathroom and the dining room. The Mystery Post is still hanging out in the wall to the far right.

John left me this piece of the original Victorian Tongue and Groove so I could see the beaded profile. I didn't wind up saving any of it in the build, because at a certain point, I just wanted it Done. In hindsight, could I have reused it and run a small bit as wainscotting behind the toilet? Sure.
But Done.

Still Pealing. Old lathe it the far left.

Framing in the wall that will enclose the tub and help create a closet in the bathroom.

Brand new tempered window. This is also a code requirement due to proximity to the shower.
(I might slip and pitch myself headlong out the window.)

A floor! I don't have to worry about falling into the basement on my way to the portapotty in the middle of the night!

Wait. Water? Oh no.

There's no reason for the wall to be wet here. Not like this. Me, the plumber, and the GC Tad chased pipes and waited for it to rain for days - weeks, really. We could never get this to replicate once it dried.
The only think I can think of is that the washing machine (which backs up to this wall) needed to be moved. I think the hoses were disconnected, but it's so tight they couldn't get a bucket in there, and the hoses must have drained out, soaking up the wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment